Admission to the Honours College
The university in its Leadership Development Initiative pays very careful attention to the quality of students it takes into the College. Students admitted, therefore, go through a stringent process of selection. Those who receive invitation into the program are deemed by all standards of selection to be among the best applicants to the university.
The Recruitment Process
During each semester in which there are bachelor’s level students enrolled in the first year, second semester of a day program at the Mukono campus, the Honours College Office will engage the following recruitment process.
- Advertise through the Standard Paper, Community Worship and Post Notices on Notice Boards around Campus.
- Application forms will be available from the Honours College Office by Monday of the 3rd week of the semester.
- All application materials must be submitted by Friday of the 7th week of the semester.
- Applicants will be interviewed by a sub – committee from the overall Honours College Committee between 8 – 10th week of the semester.
- Results will be communicated by the end of the 11th week of the semester.
Students interested in Applying to Honours College should be a Bachelor’s level student enrolled in the first year, second semester of a day program at the Mukono campus of Uganda Christian University
Submit the following materials by the application deadline
- Grade reports demonstrating a cumulative GPA of 4.00 for their first two semesters of university. The grade report for year 1, semester 1 should be submitted by the deadline. The grade report for year 1, semester 2 should be submitted as soon as the results are available.
- Personal statement of faith.
- Letter of recommendation from a parish priest, pastor or chaplain.
- Certificates or other evidence of service done during high school or university
- Signed copy of ‘What the Honours College Requires of its Members,’ which includes the following:
- Indication of willingness to reside on campus according to the Honours College housing policy.
- Indication of willingness to be in a mentoring relationship with the goal of eventually mentoring first year students.
- Indication of willingness to be accountable to the behavioral expectations of Honours College, which may exceed the expectations of UCU in general.
- Indication of willingness to engage in extra requirements of Honours College, including meetings, service projects, etc.
The Honours College Office will review all applications to be sure that they meet the minimum requirements.The Honours College Office will submit to the Honours College Committee a full list of all students who applied for the Honours College with a summary of their application content. This list will clearly identify candidates who did not meet the minimum requirements with details of what requirement (s) was not met
Completed application forms and accompanying documents are returned to the office of the Coordinator by the due date. Applicants are short – listed based on the following considerations:
- Academic competency
All interested applicants submit application (available at the office of the Coordinator) with the results at least two semesters completed. However, in the selection process, the office will endeavor to do the following:
- Establish the applicant’s results of the second semester of 1st year in order to determine consistency in academic excellence.
- Interview applicant so as to assess the applicant’s competency for the programme.
- Applicants are only invited into the Honours College after the committee has assessed their eligibility by examining their information in the application
All short – listed applicants are subjected to qualifying interviews before the Honours College Committee. Only short – listed applicants are invited for interviews. Successful applicants become part of the University’s Leadership Development Initiative and are communicated to by the office of the coordinator with the requirements and benefits clearly stipulated.
Admission for Continuing Students - Eligibility
Any continuing student entering their second year on their programme is eligible to apply to enter the Honours College. Eligibility is based on the following considerations:
- Qualification for other merit – based scholarship coordinated by the University’s office of Financial Aid Advisor.
- High level of academic, spiritual and leadership competencies for both students of international and national origin with or without a scholarship.
- The interested student must have a GPA of 4.00 (4) Year of Study. An interested applicant should at least be in their second semester of the first year, and the application will be considered for admission to the Honours College into the second year of study. Applicants in their final year will not normally be considered for selection unless there are compelling reasons to convince the committee otherwise.